In both the USA and the UK – The law does not specifically ban eating or drinking (non-alcoholic beverages) of course while driving, but drivers can be found negligent if if they are eating in a certain manner that would clearly effect the way in which they are operating their vechile.
According to www.insure.com The top most distracting foods that endager driving ability are:
- Coffee. Spilled hot coffee.
- Hot soup. Same threat as coffee.
- Tacos. Very messy, i.e. frequent glancing down on your clothes to observe and clear up the mess!
- Chili dogs. Drippy, and sloppy, hence a constant distraction.
- Hamburgers. Greasy hands = slippery steering wheel.
- Barbecued food. Constant finger licking.
- Fried chicken. More greasy, finger licking stuff.
- Jelly or cream-filled donuts. When the center oozes out – catch it if you can!
- Soft fizzy drinks. If it gets up your nose it can make you disorientated
- Chocolate. How many times have you seen drivers with bits of melted chocolate in their crutch?
Note: Eating and drinking while driving can be just as dangerous as texting on you mobile phone. Wait until you arrive at your destination before put your life at risking and someone else’s.